Hockey Canada has apologized for a lack of action following an alleged sexual assault by members of the Canadian world junior team.The investigation comes two months after Canadian broadcaster TSN reported a lawsuit levied against Hockey Canada, the players and the Canadian Hockey League had been dropped by the woman involved following a settlement.
And it took me five articles to find any detailed description of the alleged sexual assault.
The lawsuit alleges that the assaults took place on June 19, 2018, during a Hockey Canada event in London, where the 2018 World Juniors team was being honoured for winning the gold medal in that year’s tournament.
The defendants allegedly met the woman at a bar following the event at 11:00 p.m. ET and bought her drinks throughout the night, separating her from her friends as she grew intoxicated as the evening progressed.
The plaintiff, now 24 years old, allegedly followed John Doe 1 to his hotel room at the Delta London Armouries Hotel, where they engaged in sexual acts. According to the lawsuit, John Doe 1 then invited the remainder of the defendants into the room without the knowledge or consent of the woman.
The players then allegedly performed numerous sexual acts on the plaintiff and prevented her from leaving the room, Westhead reports. The woman alleges that she was too intoxicated to provide proper consent.
Did this really happen?
I don’t know. It all sounds plausible up until this point, although her lawyer includes a few more details that are… suspicion arousing.
“Throughout the assaults, the plaintiff experienced an ongoing apprehension of imminent physical harm of a sexual nature,” the lawsuit said. “The actions of the John Doe defendants caused terror and fear in the plaintiff’s mind. The John Doe defendants had complete control over the plaintiff and had isolated her from others. The number of men and the fact that they had brought golf clubs to the room further intimidated the plaintiff. As a result, the plaintiff acquiesced to their repeated sexual acts and direction to engage, but this in no way constituted valid consent under law by the plaintiff.”
I’m sorry, I just don’t believe that a bunch of hockey players brought their golf clubs up to a room with some drunk, borderline passed out skank as a method of intimidation. They’re 18-20 year old World Juniors, she’s allegedly almost passed out. They don’t need any golf clubs to violently assault her and it’s ludicrous to imagine that they do.
Hockey Canada released a statement Friday saying it has been made aware of an “alleged group sexual assault” involving members of its 2002-03 national junior team during the 2003 IIHF World Junior Championship in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
TSN/CTV reporter Rick Westhead notified Hockey Canada of the alleged assault in an email Thursday night.
“Mr. Westhead informed Hockey Canada he has spoken to multiple witnesses who provided him with explicit descriptions of an assault,” Hockey Canada wrote in the statement, “following an interview with Conservative MP John Nater who is in possession of the same or similar information. The details in Mr. Westhead’s email were deeply disturbing and Hockey Canada immediately contacted Halifax Regional Police, as Halifax was the co-host city [along with Sydney, Nova Scotia] of the 2003 IIHF World Junior Championship, and also notified Sport Canada of the information shared with us.”
Hockey Canada said it has “urged” Westhead to speak with police and for his sources to do the same. The governing body also requested Nater contact authorities with any information his office has received about the alleged assault.
Westhead has been at the forefront of reporting on Hockey Canada’s recent problems, the largest of which involved another alleged sexual assault. News broke in May that a woman was accusing eight members of Canada’s 2018 junior team of sexually assaulting her after a gala in London, Ontario. The woman was seeking more than $3.5 million in damages from Hockey Canada, the Canadian Hockey League and unnamed players. Details of the settlement were not made public. None of the allegations was proved in court.
Some random woman comes out of the woodwork and alleges that she was sexually assaulted in 2003 by… the Canadian World Juniors team. My spidey-sense is starting to tingle here.
Hockey Canada has released a plan to combat the “toxic” culture in its sport a day before the start of a second round of parliamentary hearings into the organization’s handling of sexual assault complaints.
The plan includes the implementation by the end of September of a centralized tracking and reporting system for abuse complaints.
Hockey Canada also says it will implement enhanced screening for high-performance players and will mandate that breaching the organizations code of conduct or refusing to participate in an investigation could result in a lifetime ban.
The measures are in addition to those announced in a July 14 open letter, including a revival of a dormant third-party investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving members of the country’s 2018 world junior team.
There’s nothing “toxic,” about Hockey Culture. I say that as a former BCHL player.
Whether or not these two very suspicious, and unproven, sexual assaults actually happened, slandering hockey players as particularly prone to sexual assaults is pure garbage. I can’t help but view this through the lense of Globo Homo Schlomo hating hockey because it’s “too White,” or something like that. That the Hockey Canada Team called the sport “toxic,” certainly indicates that to be so.